- Mitigating pollution. The MPRB plan is faulty with respect to mitigating pollution in these ways:
- It attempts to mitigate pollution at the destination rather than the current environmental "Best Practice" which is to mitigate the pollution at the source.
- The proposed plan predicts only a 3% improvement in the water quality of Lake Hiawatha.
- The proposed plan is unlikely to sequester the phosphorus pollution due to channel connections with Lake Hiawatha.
- The lion's share of phosphorus pollution in Lake Hiawatha comes from Minnehaha Creek. The proposed MPRB plan does little to solve this problem.
- The MPRB and City of Minneapolis have indicated that they might "sell" water storage capacity on the golf course property to other cities or developers. This would seem to increase pollution on this property, especially with the pending 2040 plan.
Read more at: SaveHiawatha18 White Paper